Image of the Week

Image of the Week
With a Galapagos Giant Tortoise on the Island of Isabela

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Choosing a grad school: An adventure in deciding WHERE?!?

I completed my Bachelor’s at Michigan State this past December. Around this time, of course, I was scrambling to submit applications for the next leg of my journey: the Ph.D. Thankfully I have had a great support system, making it a pretty easy process despite having no family that has ever really gone on to grad school before. Before I knew it, I was invited to interviews at the top four schools I applied to.

And this is where I meet you. I have visited three of the four schools on my list, and with every trip my decision gets more and more difficult. I have one more interview at the end of the month that will surely confound my decision even further.

My hard work has put me in a position where I have four really awesome professors to work with at four really awesome schools. Perhaps there is not a wrong decision, but right now it sure feels like I will never be able to choose. There are so many pros and cons to consider. What place has research I will most enjoy doing? Which adviser is going to suit my needs the best? Where will I best be set up for my intended future in academia? Who will I enjoy working with the most? Where will I enjoy living the most? Where will my partner enjoy living the most? Where can he find a job? Where will I find things to do outside of school? Which places just “feels” right?

How am I ever going to make a decision? Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment